Tips for Your Next Car Rental in Auckland
Whether you’re traveling to a new city for the first time or visiting for the tenth, sometimes you just want your own set of wheels and the convenience of going where you want when you want to.
If you’re a seasoned car rental expert, you may already have a few tricks up your sleeve on scoring an affordable car rental in Auckland. If you’re new to Auckland, don’t worry! We’ve compiled a list of our greatest tips and tricks to get you where you need to go in the most convenient and affordable way.
- Skip the Airport: If you need a rental car in a new city, the first place you might think of is a rental agency at the airport. Sure, this may seem convenient, but the convenience comes at a price. Airports often implement a hefty amount of surcharges for those who do business there. In fact, it’s best to skip the airport rental agency altogether and instead find a car rental agency nearby. Often, agencies offer free shuttles to and from the airport so you can rent a car quickly and easily without the expensive upcharges at the airport.
- Shop Around for Prices: Don’t settle for the first car rental that you find. Call around and compare prices as well as package deals. A lot of times, car rental agencies have special pricing that you may not find out about unless you ask. You may even find steeper discounts directly on the car rental agency’s website. Many offer a discount through “Pay Now” or pay-up-front types of options. Just keep in mind that most payments to car rental companies are non-refundable.
- Consider Budget Rentals: It’s important to keep in mind that bigger-name companies usually aren’t the only outfits in town. Many smaller or less-known companies are also shooting for your business and can offer more competitive pricing than big-name rental agencies.
- Leverage Your Memberships: If you are a part of any unique travel programs or other special memberships, find out what kind of savings you can get on a car rental. It’s common that organisations make deals on car rentals as well as other travel needs in order to provide their members with an exclusive service. Make sure to check any memberships or groups that you may be a part of for these types of deals.
- Opt for Economy: Economy cars are typically the cheapest rentals available. Because they are the cheapest, there is a greater likelihood that they will be booked. If you focus on reserving the most affordable and smallest car available, there’s a chance it won’t be available on the lot and you’ll get an upgrade. This isn’t foolproof; the downside is that you get stuck with an economy vehicle, which alternatively can actually contribute to its own savings during your trip.